Since I do not currently have a power rack or bench I have had to think outside of the box for some of my exercises. One of those exercises is the floor press. If you don’t know what a floor press is, it is a bench press done while lying on the floor instead of a bench.
Back in March when I started my new fitness journey I had a 1 rep max of 145 lbs in the floor press. In July I was able to get my 1 rep max up to 170 lbs, although it was a struggle. My first two sets went well. During my third set at 165 I got stuck midway through the rep. I didn’t think I would be able to complete the rep but continued pushing. Once I got past the sticking point the weight shot right up. I had the same experience at 170. The barbell didn’t want to move then suddenly went up easily.
This month I felt good as I started lifting. Once again the first two sets were easy. My third set of 160 went up without a problem. I put 170 on and fairly easily matched July’s best. I then became a little overconfident. Since 170 went so well I figured I could get 180. It seemed logical. I loaded the bar and slid underneath it. After getting the bar into place I began the lift. I pushed with everything I had but this time, not only did the barbell get stuck in the midpoint, it slowly started to come back down. It didn’t matter how hard I pushed back I wasn’t going to be successful. I set the bar down and reset the weight to 175. I got back into position and pressed the barbell up. The weight slowly moved and didn’t stop until my arms were locked out.
Although I still have a long way to go, I am excited with my progress so far. I have improved my 1 rep max in the floor press by 30 lbs over the past 5 months. I am ahead the pace I need to reach my goal of 200 lbs by next March. I’m not getting too excited though since I know that progress can come to a screeching halt at any time.